Vila Real de Santo António, Faro
Located in the furthest eastern point of Portugal’s Algarve, with Spain just across the Guadiana river, Vila Real de Santo Antonio is a truly hidden gem.
Near the middle of the historic, pedestrian centre and with a charming marina in the distance, sits Casa Três. Once a merchant’s house, this stately home has been renovated into an open, spacious property.
A peaceful ambiance, both in- and outside
Upon entering Casa Três, you’ll feel welcomed by the airy and bright courtyard, where the old citrus tree and glistening outdoor pool will make you forget you’re in the city centre.
Centred around this small shaded oasis are three large bedrooms, each with an ensuite bathroom and lounge area. The multiple roof terraces, saturated by the afternoon sun, are perfect for late-night dinners or early breakfasts.
Subtle concrete stairs take you from the ground-level pool to the multiple roof terraces, where one enjoys late night dinners or early breakfasts.
Spacious bedrooms spread across the house sleep 6 persons with comfort and Portugese flavour.
History, forest and beaches combined
Rent a bike at the corner of the street from Casa Três and cruise through the cooling Mata Nacional da Dunas Litorais pine forests. In less than 15 minutes these roads will lead you to the deserted beaches south of Vila Real, also accessible by car in 5 minutes.
Going east, small ferries will take you across the Guadiana river to Spanish historic town Ayamonte, for a relaxing day or afternoon out, or just to enjoy their delicious tapas.
Westwards along the coast, a delightful short trip will take you to Cacela Velha, offering incredible views, expansive sandy beaches and an idyllic village to stroll through. Make sure to include Fabrica, listed as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
While being located in the quiet historic city centre, a short distance will take you into a whole different realm.
A change of pace
Not your typical coastal town, San Antonio has a very different feel from most other local seaside villages. The streets are decorated with art and sculptures, built around a central square, bearing the name of its creator, Marquis de Pombal. Taking inspiration from the capitals urban grid, San Antonio is often referred to as Little Lisbon of the Algarve.
Perched on the edge of the Rio Guadiana, it’s the perfect starting point for a relaxed ferry ride to Spain or the rest of Southern Portugal.
Succulent oysters and rich cataplanas (traditional Portuguese fish stews) are worth the trip alone to Fabrica do Costa.
Features, equipment and extra services
- Self-catering holiday home with concierge service
- 3 kingsize double bedrooms with luxury bedding
- Each bedroom has an en-suite bathroom, with washbasins and walk-in showers
- In 2 of the bedrooms, there’s room for an extra bed
- Private indoor patio with intimate heated plunge pool
- Several large roof terraces
- Well-equipped modern kitchen, with an honesty bar filled with the best Portuguese wines
- Laundry with washer/dryer
- Reservations from Saturday to Saturday. Midweeks and week-ends on demand.
- Arrival is possible from 4 pm, check out before 11 am.
- Pets are unfortunately not welcome.
- Smoking is only permitted outside.
- Children are certainly very welcome. Baby cots and additional beds available upon request.
Vila Real de Santo António, Faro
50min. drive to Faro Airport
Our flying receptionist will meet you at the airport on arrival with a shuttle service upon request.
- 1min. walk to Praça Marquês de Pombal
- 3min. walk to the riverfront
- 9min. drive to Castro Marim
- 10min. bicycle ride to deserted beaches south of Vila Real
- 15min. ferry drive to Ayamonte, Spain
- 50min. drive to Faro Airport